About Me

My photo
I think every meal (yes, every meal!) can and should incorporate some kind of fruit or vegetable. This is a blog that will show you how. I'm a Health Advisor by trade, which means I help people find easy, realistic ways to tweak their eating and exercise habits to maximise their health and well-being. I firmly beleive being healthy is not about dieting, skipping meals, cutting out food groups or exercising until you can't see straight. All you need is to move more, and vegetate your plate!

Sunday 2 March 2014

Food of the Month: Greek Yoghurt



Low fat Greek yoghurt. 

I cannot get enough of this stuff. By itself nothing to particularly write home about, but combined with a dash of honey (or agave nectar for those following low-GI diets) and a little handful of fresh or frozen berries, and you've got yourself a little dollop of heaven. 

Here's the skinny-

Per 100g:
68kcal
3.5g fat (2.3g saturated)
5.1g carbohydrate (3.4g sugar)
4g Protein

That looks pretty good to me! If you can buy the 0% fat version ('total' is a good brand) then so much the better, but it can be a bit on the pricey side. I buy this stuff in my local shop by the kilo for less than £2.

A high protein, low-sugar, low-fat dessert? Amazing. 

What else can you use it for? See my recipe for banana and cinnamon muffins (it makes them oh so moist), atop of banana pancakes (been having a lot of bananas this month...), with cereal, in fruit or green smoothies, or simply as is with a whizzle of honey as mentioned above. 

Move over ice cream - we're going Greek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment